During the week my alarm goes off at 5:30am (yes- you read correct- LOL.) I use to hit snooze thinking… Ugh, I can just wear my hair in a wet ponytail or bun to save myself 15 minutes and I could sleep instead… times have changed; I actually look forward to getting up and ready! I guess after being in a ponytail and pyjamas on maternity leave for a year makes me want to get dressed up everyday (I’m sure my coworkers think I go WAY overboard- but I could care less; my dry cleaned blouses and blazers look FAB!)
In continuing with my previous post and the theme of hair, I would like to share a few tips with respect to drying, styling and overall care:
- Don’t sleep with a ponytail in, your hair will break;
- When your hair is wet it is fragile, make sure you use a pick or a wet brush to brush it (after you spray in your leave in conditioner or detangler);
- Make sure your hair is bone dry before you begin to curl or straighten;
- Use a brush while blow-drying to avoid frizz and fly a ways;
- Wrapping your hair around the outside of your curling iron will give you a really nice wavy curl- be careful not to burn yourself! They make gloves you can use if you’re not that coordinated (if I’m doing the left side of my hair, I reach my right hand over my head with the iron and wrap with my left hand)
When it comes to styling, you want to make sure you have a good straightener and curling iron- it makes ALL the difference. I use to use a Conair curling iron (from the drug store) and I could never figure out why my hair would go flat and straight about an hour later until I bought a Hot Tools curling iron (1 ¼”inch)- OMG my hair is still curly the next day!
When it comes to buying a straightener, you want to make sure it can heat up to approx 405F, 1”inch ceramic plates are nice too, you want it to GLIDE, and I mean GLIDE through your hair. I have been using a CHI and I feel like a whole new woman! No more frizz or fly a ways. I just have to pull it through once and BAM! There are a lot of choices out there. You can find them at places like First Choice, Chatters, www.spaboutique.ca, Ebay or even at the supplier. Just keep an eye out for a good sale.
I finish my look off with a small amount of hair spray and a few spritz of Shine Spray. Are there any styling products or tools that you love and can’t live without? Please share in the comment section below.
Tools & Products
Hair Brush- it’s the only one I use!
BaByliss Blow Dryer
Hot Tools Curling Iron
CHI Straightening Iron
Big Sexy Hair Weightless Hairspray
It’s a 10 Shine Spray
S Factor Shiny Happy People Shine Spray- no longer on website but comparable to this
Textiles- Evelynn Charles Shine Spray